Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Highlights of the Day

E1st period: a student was writing a description of his family and pets: "I have a dog. She is a bitch" I tried controlling my laughter and pointed it to my JTE but she didn't seem to get it. I think because the principal was sitting in the back of the class to observe.

3rd period: I explained to the kids the mysteries of the bermuda triangle, atlantis, and the nazca lines and asked them to think of an explanation for each one. One student: "The bermuda triangle is a portal to another world. Atlantis disappeared because it was in the bermuda triangle and got transported. The nazca lines come from aliens who came through the bermuda triangle". Quite a smart kid to link all 3 different topics together.

5th period:
So we had a school fire drill today with sirens and announcements, the whole shebang. I was taking my time to stop working and get my jacket to go outside when I saw the head english teacher making some tea for herself. "I don't want to go outside for this, it's too cold and crowded". I was like "really? we can do that?" I sat back down, and under the blaring of the fire alarm she said "tea is ready! dozo" Guess we can since we're the teachers after all.

As I was leaving school, some students were complaining to me how cold they were when all they were wearing was their normal summer clothes with a scarf over it. I told them to get a jacket, crazy kids. We got into a conversation about Christmas and boyfriends/girlfriends. They demanded I give them presents for Christmas but we compromised saying that I would only give something if they did something for me. Since they're broke-ass kids with no jobs, I figured getting them to write me an English Christmas card letter was within their budgetary constraints. One girl said she wanted a boyfriend for Christmas and I started shouting at passing boys "are you looking for a girlfriend?!" The other girl started talking about her boyfriend which is when I learned some Japanese (see previous post)

No comments:

Post a Comment